Monday, July 6, 2009

Chocolate Madness Cashew Cookies



I LOVE chocolate! Since I don't always have a ton just lying around (because i have eaten it all) I have to get creative as to what form I should make my chocolate. I also like adapting recipes and trying to improve upon them when baking to make things more interesting. This cookie was a combination of boredom, chocolate needing, and recipe searching!

I found a very generic recipe for chocolate cookies using cocoa. Looked at what I had around the apartment... low and behold.... chocolate liqueur! I had previously made an alcoholic chocolate cake for a friends 21st birthday with a raspberry rum glaze, chocolate liqueur icing, and a Bailey's cream cheese filling (it was delicious, but that's for another day).

So I decided to try and adapt to make some rich chocolaty cookies. I also found some cashews and figured those would work in nicely! I think almonds macadamia would work better in the future though. Don't get me wrong, the cashews were great, but I love cashews so much on their own, it didn't to the nut justice in such a fantastic, rich cookie!

As you might remember, I don't measure things often, so I used this basic recipe and made the following additions:

Basic Chocolate Cookie:
  • 1 c. Butter
  • 1 1/2 c. Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 t. Vanilla
  • 2 c. Flour
  • 1/2 t. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 t. Salt
  • 2/3 c. Cocoa Powder
My additions:
  • 1/2 t. Baking Soda
  • 2 T. Chocolate Liqueur (I used Godiva)
  • 1 T. Irish Cream Liqueur (such as Baileys)
  • 2 c. White Chocolate Chips
  • 1 C. Cashews (roughly chopped)

In case that was confusing....

Overall Chocolate Madness Cashew Cookie:
  • 1 c. Butter
  • 1 1/2 c. Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 t. Vanilla
  • 2 c. Flour
  • 1 t. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 t. Salt
  • 2/3 c. Cocoa Powder
  • 3 T. Chocolate Liqueur (I used Godiva)
  • 1 T. Irish Cream Liqueur (such as Baileys)
  • 2 c. White Chocolate Chunks
  • 1 C. Cashews (roughly chopped)
Refrigerate the dough for a couple hours before baking the cookies! Bake these cookies at 350 for 10-14 minutes.

These cookies would definitely be great with Dark Chocolate Chunks, Walnuts, Macadamia Nuts... the possibilities are endless to a delicious chocolate cookie!

If you're a person who (like me) normally rounds up on the salt in recipes because you love the salty-sweet combo... don't do it in this if you're using both salted butter and salted cashews. If they are unsalted nuts, however, you probably will need a little extra salt because the liqueur makes the dough really sweet!

I made these cookies just like I would any other! Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, mix dry ingredients, add slowly to the wet, fold in nuts and chips.... dollop and bake!

My cookies were fudgy because I didn't use a mixer (out of laziness) but they ended up great anyway! If you want fluffier cookies rather than fudgy, sift the flower mixture and then beat in the flour mixture vigorously with the mixer after each addition.

WARNING: WTHESE COOKIES ARE YUMMY AND DELICIOUS AND SHOULD NOT BE MADE IF YOU ARE ON A DIET, BECAUSE YOU WILL EAT THEM ALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment